Energy audit is a tool to enable energy management in a commercial or residential enterprise.
|It is a technique used to establish the pattern of energy use, and identifies the areas where energy can be saved or where energy can be used judiciously. An energy audit consists of a detailed examination of how a facility uses energy, what the facility pays for that energy, and finally, a recommended program for changes in operating practices or energy consuming equipment that will effectively save on energy bills.
Goals of Energy Audit:
- Identify the types of energy use and the cost of energy consumed.
- Understand the applications of energy.
- Identify and analyse cost effective ways of energy use.
- Perform economic analysis of alternatives for the existing energy usage pattern.
Types of Energy Audit:
- Preliminary Audit: This type of energy audit is mere walk-through of the facility, be it industrial or residential. Here, the facility is studied and any sort of defective processes or maintenance issues are identified. A visual inspection of all operations is done in the stage to identify opportunities for energy savings.
- Mini-Audit: It enhances the preliminary audit. Detailed data collection of utility rates and contracts; energy usage profile; metering and/or testing of energy utilization equipment; as required for documentation is included in this stage. Interviews will be conducted with various site operations and business personnel to better understand the facility’s operational parameters and business needs. A financial analysis will be performed on each energy conservation measure identified.
- Detailed-Audit:This audit type requires that all phases of energy purchase and utilization are identified, measured, documented and evaluated for inclusion in the final report. Extensive interviews are conducted with site operational and business personnel to fully appreciate the facility’s operational parameters, as well as present and future business needs. The final report for this audit is all-inclusive, typically lengthy with detailed analysis, pictures and renovation documents.
The major systems energy auditors focus attention on are:
- Building Envelope
- HVAC System – Here energy savings should be done in such a way without compromising people’s comfort.
- Electrical Supply System
- Lighting –Energy efficient lighting can be resorted to
- Boiler and Steam System –Fuel efficiency and alternate energy solutions can be investigated here.
- Hot Water System – Viability of Solar Heaters can be looked into.