Cadmium telluride (CdTe) is a stable crystalline compound formed from cadmium and tellurium. It is mainly used as the semiconducting material in cadmium telluride photovoltaics. It is usually sandwiched with cadmium sulfide to form a p-n junction solar PV cell.
CdTe is one of the prominent compound used to make a thin film solar cell.
Yes, CdTe thin film solar modules are commercially available for deployment. In fact, in the first 1000 MW of solar power plants installed in India, First Solar’s CdTe solar modules had a significant share of the deployment,
One of the world’s most prominent solar cell maker, First Solar, makes solar cells/modules based on CdTe. It is worthwhile noting that CdTe modules from First Solar have been reporting significant increases in efficiency in the past few years, and as of mid 2016, First Solar had reported a highest efficiency of 17% for CdTe based thin film solar modules.
You Might Want to Check Out these Questions Too on Types of Solar Panels
- What is a Crystalline Silicon/c-Si Solar Cell/Module?-Here
- How do Monocrystalline Solar Panels Compare with Polycrystalline Solar Panels?-Here
- What is an Amorphous Silicon (a-Si) Solar Module? Is it Used Now?-Here
- What are CIGS (Copper Indium Gallium Selenide) Thin Film Solar Cells? Are These Available Commercially Today?-Here
- What is a CIS Solar Module? Are These Commercially Available Today?-Here
- What are Bifacial Solar Cells? Are they Commercially Available?-Here
- What are Concentrating Photovoltaics (CPV)? What are their Benefits?-Here
- What Single-junction Solar Cells? How are they Different from Conventional Solar Cells?-Here
- What is a Tandem Solar Cell? How is it Different from the Conventional Solar Cell?-Here
- What is a Transparent Solar Cell? And What are Its Advantages Over Conventional Cells?-Here
- What are Heterojunction Solar Cells? Are these Commercially Available?-Here
- What is the Smallest Sized Solar Panel Available Currently?-Here
- What is the Largest Capacity/Size Solar Panel Currently?-Here
- What are n-type Solar Cells? And how are they Different from p-type Cells?-Here
- What are Multi-junction Solar Cells? How are They Different from Conventional Solar Cells?-Here
- What are n-type Solar Cells? And how are they Different from p-type Cells?
- What are Multi-junction Solar Cells? How are They Different from Conventional Solar Cells?