Performance of a solar power system in the long term is directly related to how well it is maintained. Solar power plant maintenance comprises of predictive, preventive and corrective measures to ensure smooth operations all around the year.
Most solar EPC/installation companies sign up long term O&M contracts with their clients, post installation. Apart from these EPC companies, there are many dedicated O&M companies who provide outsourced assistance to many large solar companies for the operation and maintenance of their solar farms. Hence, Solar O&M Engineers will always have requirements in most solar companies. With India’s targets to achieve 100 GW of Solar Power by 2022, the solar market will have good amount of consistent demand for Solar O&M Engineers in the country.
Solar O&M Engineer Job Summary
A Solar O&M Engineer’s job is mainly to plan, schedule and ensure execution of daily, weekly and monthly activities to ensure smooth operations of a solar power plant. The O&M Engineer takes the responsibility of monitoring the performance of solar power plant on a day-to-day basis and must be available for immediate field trips in case of any fault recovery.
A typical Solar O&M Engineer’s job will predominantly revolve around following three key responsibilities:
- Regular monitoring and inspection
- Preventive and Corrective maintenance
- Co-ordinate with OEM vendors for equipment maintenance
Depending on the specific position and role, your job will involve some or all of the following:
- Identifies problems and develops corrective action plans
- Scheduling and execution of preventive and predictive maintenance
- Travel to project sites and vendor locations as assigned to perform all aspects of on-site installation, repair, maintenance, oversight, and modifications as required
- Perform electric, hydraulic, mechanical and software component inspections, testing, repair, and troubleshooting, in accordance with its specifications.
- Provide timely written review reports from field operation, status, and constructive feedback as requested.
- Responds to emergency call outs
- Ensure that all O&M activities performed at project sites complies with OEM (original equipment manufacturer) requirements and warranties
- Record and report all faults, deficiencies, and other unusual occurrences, as well as the time and materials expended on work orders. Responsible for all required repairs, maintenance, and monitoring of all warranty claims
Typical Qualifications Expected
Educational qualification and experience needed for the solar O&M designer job depends on each company’s requirements.
Companies prefer candidates with some minimum experience, but freshers also stand a chance.
An Electrical Engineering degree/diploma will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of National Electrical Code and standard design/construction practices
- Knowledge of Operation & Maintenance of HT Equipment and Transmission line
Other Requirements & Expectations
- Should be ready for field visits
- Should be flexible to perform installation role if needed
- Must have the ability to travel, work on-call during off-shift hours