Overall, buyers look for two kinds of warranties:
- Product warranties
- Performance warranties
Product warranty essentially provides a guarantee about the overall life and robustness of the solar panel to last for 25 years. This is a guarantee that is not unlike what you get as standard product warranty for many conventional products.
What you should be more interested in the context of solar panel warranties are the Performance Warranties, which guarantee a minimum performance/output from the solar panels during its lifetime.
There are two performance warranties that come with solar panels
- Standard Warranty
- Linear Warranty
The Standard Warranty gives you a minimum output per Wp for a fixed period, while the Linear Warranty clearly stipulates the minimum output from the solar panel for each of the 25 years.
Overall, the Linear Warranty can give you a much higher output over the 25 year period than the Standard Warranty, even if does cost slightly higher.
So, go for the Linear Performance Warranty.
You Might Want to Check Out these Questions Too on Risks & Warranties
- How Much Do I Stand to Lose If I Choose a Poor Quality Solar Panel?-Here
- Have there been Real Life Failures of Solar Panels within a Few Years after Installation?-Here
- Can Solar Panels Withstand Hailstorms?-Here
- Can Solar Panels Withstand Snow and Rain?-Here
- Can Solar Panels be Damaged by Floods?-Here
- What Happens if the Solar Panel Manufacturer Goes Out of Business?-Here
- What Happens if there are Bird Droppings on Solar Panels?-Here
- What Happens if Heavy Objects Fall on Solar Panels?-Here
- What Happens if Someone Accidentally Walks on Solar Panels?-Here
- What is PID (performance induced degradation) of a Solar Panel?-Here
- How Can I Protect Solar Panels Against Monkeys and Other Animals?-Here
- What All Can Go Wrong with Solar Panels?-Here
- What Types of Insurance are Available for Solar Panels?-Here
- What is the Shading of Solar Panels all About? What are Its Implications?-Here
- What are Light Induced Defects in Solar Cells?-Here
- What is a Solar Module Derate Factor?-Here
- If a Cell in a Solar Panel Doesn’t Work, Does It Affect Generation from Other Cells?-Here