Sweet Answer from Solar Mango: (updated Jul 2015)
Power generation is the most prominent sector within solar energy, the other being the use of sunlight for heating.
Power generation in solar is possible both from solar photovoltaic and solar thermal (through the use of concentrating solar power technology). As a result, there are a number of opportunities for electrical industry and electrical engineering professionals.
The main opportunities in solar (specifically solar PV power plants) for companies in the electrical industry are:
- Making electrical sub-components for the main electrical components, or in some select cases, making the electrical components themselves
- Being a system integrator for rooftop solar power plants
- Turnkey EPC (Engineering, Procurement, Construction) for MW scale solar power plants
- Taking up electrical sub-contract work for large MW scale power plants (in this case the turnkey EPC work would have been taken up by a large and prominent EPC)
- Taking up O&M responsibility for large scale power plants
- Solar Power Plant System Analysis & Design
- Design of Off-grid power electronics, especially relevant for off-grid solar PV projects
- What kinds of business opportunities exist in the solar-diesel hybrid sector?
- What are the opportunities for IT & software professionals in Solar?
Ask Solar Mango
Have a solar energy related question to be answered at Solar Mango? Send it to email@example.com