In urban areas, there are a number of tall buildings which have so many window panes on it. Imagine a scenario where all the windows are able to produce solar power with the windows still serving their purpose of letting in ample amount of sunshine.
Transparent solar panels have made such cool innovations possible. A niche market for such a product spurred years of research that has resulted in development of various transparent solar panel technologies.
In one such transparent solar panel technology, rather than putting up new solar panels, liquid coatings can be applied on windows to produce transparent thin films. And this processed glass surface can produce electricity.
Although many of these so-called transparent solar panels were not actually transparent, there are newer technologies that actually is transparent to a great extent. Rather than absorbing the visible sunlight, they absorb the infrared and UV portion of sunlight to produce electricity.
This is a cool technology and possible applications include mobile phone screens and skyscrapers.
You might want to check out these questions too
- Can solar panels look attractive? – Read more
- What is the relevance of building-integrated photovoltaics in the current solar market? – Read more
- Why are rooftop customers keen on putting up solar panels over elevated structures? – Read more
- How beneficial are solar panels on parking lots? – Read more
- What are flexible solar panels and what benefits do they offer? – Read more
- Are there solar panels suitable for high dust environments? – Read more
- What are bifacial solar panels, and what are their advantages? – Read more
- What are Li-Fi solar panels and how do they work? – Read more
- Are solar panels on greenhouses a good idea? – Read more
- Will colored solar panels improve the attractiveness of solar PV? – Read more
- Is it a good idea to use high efficiency solar panels for your rooftop? – Read more