Often, solar customers hesitate to go solar due to the visual impact typical blue or black panels could have over their home or building rooftop. The claim is that the panels just didn’t go well with the roof or was a distraction to the eyes.
Issues like this opened up an opportunity for creating aesthetically pleasing solar panel designs. Panels have been made available in red, pink, green and many more colors.
Colored panels are especially popular in the US and some European countries where there are large number of red roofs, and installing red colored solar panels make them less conspicuous.
An interesting question that comes up when it comes to installing colored solar panels is: How is their efficiency in comparison to conventional solar panels?
Actually, the efficiency is typically less compared to commercially available panels. In fact, this depends on what the color is too. Green or grey colored panels are more efficient as they reflect less and absorb more sunlight. The darker the color, the more efficient they are. It is worth mentioning here that currently there are some startup companies who claim to supply panels that convert even 15-17% of sunlight into electricity.
One such company is a Boston-based start-up – Sistine Solar – which came up with the idea of creating colored solar panels that go well with the homeowner’s roof texture. An interesting installation by the company is one where they designed a solar canopy that resembles green grass for the courtyard at the Starwood Element Hotel in Irving, Texas.
Efficiency aside, the other big question is regarding the cost. In comparison to typical polycrystalline panels, colored panels can be 50-100% costlier.
Considering the cost and efficiency factor, colored panels are especially attractive to business enterprises which are open to the idea of adopting latest innovations and making a green statement.
You might want to check out these questions too
- Can solar panels look attractive? – Read more
- What is the relevance of building-integrated photovoltaics in the current solar market? – Read more
- Why are rooftop customers keen on putting up solar panels over elevated structures? – Read more
- How beneficial are solar panels on parking lots? – Read more
- What are flexible solar panels and what benefits do they offer? – Read more
- How can transparent solar panels be a big boost to solar on tall buildings? – Read more
- Are there solar panels suitable for high dust environments? – Read more
- What are bifacial solar panels, and what are their advantages? – Read more
- What are Li-Fi solar panels and how do they work? – Read more
- Are solar panels on greenhouses a good idea? – Read more
- Will colored solar panels improve the attractiveness of solar PV? – Read more
- Is it a good idea to use high efficiency solar panels for your rooftop? – Read more